I participated in the 2013 end of the year book survey and I pretty much love any all all surveys, so I was really looking forward to doing this one too.
Thanks to the Perpetual Page Turner for this awesome idea and the pretty pictures. Make sure you go over there to see all of the links from other bloggers.
1. Best Book You Read In 2014?
This is so hard. There were a lot of books that I loved in 2014, but only a few that I was absolutely obsessed with: Don’t Touch, All the Bright Places, The Wrath and the Dawn, Ensnared, The Sin Eater’s Daughter, Kiss of Deception, Retribution of Mara Dyer, The Queen of Bright and Shiny Things, and Isla and the Happily Ever After.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Love and Other Unknown Variables by Shannon Lee Alexander. I saw a lot of people flailing over this book and while I loved parts of it, overall it wasn’t for me.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?
In the Afterlight by Alexandra Bracken. I was so excited for this book. I really loved Liam and Chubs and even though I struggled with Ruby a bit, I couldn’t wait to see how it all ended. Sadly, it fell flat for me.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?
I probably pimped the the Mara Dyer and Splintered series the most. More recently, I’ve been pimping The Wrath and the Dawn, All the Bright Places and The Sin Eater’s Daughter.
5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?
New series: The Sin Eater’s Daughter, The Wrath and The Dawn
Series end: Ensnared, Retribution, Ruin & Rising, A Strange and Ever After, Mortal Heart.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven. I’m really picky about the contemps I read, but coupled with the subject matter, I reluctantly picked it up. I’m so happy I did because I still can’t get it out of my head.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers. Oh man…I had so many feels about this book.
9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
The Wrath and the Dawn, The Sin Eater’s Daughter, Ensnared, Retribuion
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?
11. Most memorable character of 2014?
Balthazaar from Mortal Heart
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
The Wrath and the Dawn. I just can’t with this book.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?
All the Bright Places
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
The Scarlet series by A.C. Gaughen
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
I can’t answer this question. If I fall down this rabbit hole, I’ll never get out.
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
Shortest: The Proposal by JLA — 6 pages
Longest: Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor — 614 pages
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
(Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)
Kiss of Deception by Mary Pearson. The anonymous POVs, the way everything was revealed, THAT ENDING. Gah.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Celaena and Chaol forever. Forever. FOREVER.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Dee and Reagan from Open Road Summer. Emery has such a fantastic way of writing female relationships and it makes me want to be BFFs with all of them.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
The Queen of Bright and Shiny Things by Ann Aguirre, Secrets of Attraction by Robin Constantine
21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
Under Different Stars by Amy A. Bartol. I read this book because my Pretty Prancy PA loves her and the book was absolutely amazing.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
Josh from Isla and the Happily Ever After. He’s mine, I have proof.
23. Best 2014 debut you read?
Open Road Summer by Emery Lord
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
The Wrath and the Dawn. Everything about this book is lush and amazing. IS THIS BOOK ON YOUR TBR YET?
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Illusions of Fate by Kiersten White
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?
In my entire life, I’ve only cried twice when reading: A Strange and Ever After by Susan Dennard and All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Don’t Touch by Rachel M. Wilson and Strange Sweet Song by Adi Rule. I am so in love with these books and I don’t know many people who have read either of them.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
All the Bright Places. Even though my heart still hurts, I will be reading this book forever.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
The Bridge from Me to You by Lisa Schroeder. It was the first time that I’ve read a book in verse and I really enjoyed it.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Love and Other Theories by Alexis Bass. This book was just really irritating to me. I can honestly say it had absolutely no redeeming factors.
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014?
I don’t visit blogs as often as I should, but you should be checking out Polished Page Turners, Beauty and the Bookshelf, and Love at First Page. I also met Ursula from Grown-Up Fangirl at a Sarah J Maas event and I’m mildly obsessed with her Instagram account.
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014?
I don’t do too many reviews, but I do love the joint reviews I did for Kiss of Deception and Breakable. It was extra fun because I did them with Christina and Michelle. They make my flailing sound coherent.
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
I don’t post these types of things. :)
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
All of them? One of my favorite moments was at Mary Pearson’s launch party when she asked the crowd if the person who said they were going to roll around in the maps with her was in attendance. After I raised my hand, she came around the podium and hugged me.
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?
I was also asked to provide a review quote/blurb for Sweet Filthy Boy by Christina Lauren that was published in the front of the book. It was the first time my review has ever been in print and still makes me squee a little bit.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
143 comments for the Clear Your Shelf Hop when I gave away books from SDCC
783 views in one day for the Ensnared cover reveal blog tour.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
All of them? Don’t get me wrong, I love blogging, but the majority of comments I get are during giveaways. I know I don’t make it easy because there aren’t discussion posts and the like. But it would be nice to know if people are actually reading the stuff I’m putting out or just waiting for the next giveaway.
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
I’ve recently found Out of Print and I’m trying not to buy everything.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I set a Goodreads reading goal of 275 books and I’ve read 321 with a couple of days left to go.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?
All of them? My TBR stack seems to be growing…
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?
I’m not really sure on this one. I’ve been lucky to read early copies of the books I think I’ll be pimping the hardest, so I can’t wait to be surprised by new books I haven’t heard of yet.
3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Umm. I don’t really keep up on this. I should, but I just don’t. I’ll sit back and watch what people add to their Goodreads shelves and decide from there.
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?
I really want The Raven Boys #4. I don’t know if it even comes out in 2015, but I want it like yesterday.
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?
I’m not the same as the other book blogs that are out there, I’m different and I really like that. I guess I hope that people continue to like that too.
6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone
All the Bright Places, The Wrath and the Dawn, The Sin Eater’s Daughter and Ensnared
Don’t forget to head over to the Perpetual Page Turner to see the linky list of all the other blogs who participated. And of course, feel free to leave a comment with a link to your best of 2014 survey or just answer a few of the questions!