Moxie by Jennifer Mathieu came highly highly recommended and I loved the synopsis and the cover, but somehow it got lost in my hot mess of stacks. When I eventually cleaned up and organized my office a bit, I found it again and it was exactly what I was in the mood for. Of course I loved it and when I got the email about the blog tour, I couldn’t sign up fast enough.
Before we get to my top 5 reasons to read, let’s check out the book!
Moxie girls fight back!
Vivian Carter is fed up. Fed up with her small-town Texas high school that thinks the football team can do no wrong. Fed up with sexist dress codes and hallway harassment. But most of all, Viv Carter is fed up with always following the rules.
Viv’s mom was a punk rock Riot Grrrl in the ’90s, so now Viv takes a page from her mother’s past and creates a feminist zine that she distributes anonymously to her classmates. She’s just blowing off steam, but other girls respond. Pretty soon Viv is forging friendships with other young women across the divides of cliques and popularity rankings, and she realizes that what she has started is nothing short of a girl revolution.
Sounds good, right?
Top 5 Reasons to Read Moxie
1. Vivian — She’s relatable and easy to root for. I loved that she was somewhat reluctant to start anything, but being fed up and scared pushed her into action.
2. The girls — It was so lovely and refreshing to see girls being nice to each other and not in that fake “I’ll-be-nice-to-your-face-and-talk-shit-about-you-when-you-leave” sort of way. Not only were the girls nice, they were super supportive of each other.
3. The soundtrack — Jennifer put together an amazing playlist. I’ve downloaded Rebel Girl and listened to it a million times since reading.
5. It’s empowering — I swear, I felt like I could move mountains after I read this book. Moxie tackles the topic of feminism in an approachable way and showed that any voice can make a difference, which is absolutely needed in the world today. I firmly believe this should be a must read for everyone.
Jennifer Mathieu started writing stories when she was in kindergarten and now teaches English to middle and high school students. She won the Teen Choice Debut Author Award at the Children’s Choice Book Awards for her first novel, The Truth About Alice. She is also the author of Devoted and Afterward. She lives in Texas with her husband, son, dog, and two cats.
Huge thanks to the lovelies at Fierce Reads for the invite! Make sure you’re checking out the rest of the blog tour for all sorts of awesome things and keep scrolling for a giveaway!
One winner will get a hardcover copy of Moxie, a Moxie pennant, and a Moxie button. Book will be provided by and coming from Macmillan and is US only. Additional rules are here.
- Tuesday, September 19 – Ex Libris Kate
- Wednesday, September 20- YA Bibliophile
- Thursday, September 21 – Adventures of a Book Junkie
- Friday, September 22 – Gone Pecan
- Saturday, September 23 – Fiktshun
- Sunday, September 24 – Take Me Away to a Great Read
- Monday, September 25 – Books and Makeup
- Tuesday, September 26 – Forever Young Adult
- Wednesday, September 27 – The Fox’s Hideaway
- Thursday, September 28 – What Sarah Read
- Friday, September 29 – YA Wednesdays